CenterPoint’s 2017 Affordable Housing Multi-Family Building Bonus Rebate Program
What it is:
CenterPoint Energy’s rebate programs can help offset the initial purchasing cost of installing new or replacing existing equipment for long-term money- and energy-savings. For greater savings, CenterPoint Energy offers the affordable housing segment a 25% rebate bonus on top of its standard rebates, making installing new, energy-efficient equipment even more affordable.
Non-profit affordable housing developer, Project for Pride in Living (PPL) recently completed the Touchstone Rising Cedars project, a new building in Minneapolis that provides affordable apartments and wrap-around services for 40 individuals with mental illness. Rebates from CenterPoint Energy helped provide resources to maximize energy efficiency and make green living affordable.
“We strive to incorporate green-building measures in every one of our developments,” said PPL’s Vice President, Barbara McCormick. “Achieving a high level of energy efficiency is especially important, since energy costs can be burdensome to the lower-income populations with whom we work.”
The natural gas equipment portfolio for the Touchstone Rising Cedars project includes carbon monoxide sensors, hot water boilers with >88% efficiency, unit heaters with >83% efficiency and commercial water heaters. PPL’s rebates from CenterPoint Energy for this 40-unit apartment building totaled $6,812.
What it includes:
High-efficiency natural gas equipment for multi-family buildings will save you energy and money today and tomorrow, and help keep occupants comfortable. Our rebate bonus program includes the following equipment:
- Boiler tune-ups – Receive 25% off boiler tune-up cost plus a 25% bonus ($375 cap/boiler) and improve your boiler’s performance, safety and efficiency. Qualifying boilers are eligible for this rebate every other year.
- Boilers or boiler system components – Rebates of $3,375 per MMBtuh for 88 percent efficiency hot water boiler models with greater rebates for higher efficiency models. We also have rebates available for high- and low-pressure steam boilers and boiler system components.
- Carbon monoxide sensors for indoor parking – Receive $125 per installed sensor, while reducing the energy use of your ventilation system.
- Natural gas water heaters – Receive $250 per 100,000 Btu input for a water heater with an 88 percent or greater condensing efficiency.
- And more – visit CenterPointEnergy.com for a complete list of rebates available.
Who is eligible:
Building must be a customer of CenterPoint Energy in Minnesota with a commercial account. Buildings must have a minimum of five housing units, with a minimum of 66 percent of units occupied by income eligible households. Eligibility can be demonstrated by any of the following:
- Buildings pre-qualified for the Department of Energy Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) are automatically eligible. Please submit documentation of WAP eligibility or contact your CenterPoint Energy account manager.
- Buildings certified for the Minnesota Low-Income Rental Classification (LIRC) are automatically eligible. Please submit a copy of your LIRC certification or contact your CenterPoint Energy account manager.
- Restrictions or Mortgage Covenants which restrict a minimum of 66 percent of housing units to income eligible households can be used to demonstrate eligibility. Please submit a copy of the Use Restriction or Mortgage Covenant.
- Other means of demonstrating eligibility, including (but not limited to) participation in the project based Section 8 voucher program or county or state funded program, may be acceptable.
Please contact your CenterPoint Energy account manager with questions.
Program dates are Jan. 1 – Dec. 31, 2017.
Rebate applications must be received by Dec. 31, 2017.
Rebate forms can be found here.